Lux Research is seeking an entrepreneurial-minded and intellectually-curious consultant to conduct technical and technology-focused market research and provide technology strategy consulting expertise to our clients regarding new and emerging technologies impacting the advanced materials, energy, environmental and clean technology, and life sciences industries.
Consultants play a significant role at Lux, helping to retain and grow existing clients, develop new clients, develop junior team members’ skills and otherwise contribute to the success of the company in a variety of ways.
This is an outstanding opportunity for the successful applicant to contribute immediately to a fast-paced dynamic consulting team, and operate as an integral member of typically a 3-4 person engagement team. In addition to being a core contributor on client projects, our consultants have opportunities to develop important subject matter expertise, build valuable networks with executives from key global corporations, and develop and gain expertise in Lux Research’s tools and methodology. Some travel is required for this position, but it is significantly less than at a “traditional” consulting firm as we do not work at the client site.
2-5 years of industry experience or previous consulting/client facing experience and experience leading projects is required.
An undergraduate degree in a physical sciences or engineering discipline is a must. An MBA or advanced degree is desired. Candidates with a background in electronics; advanced materials; or oil & gas technologies are highly desirable.
- Conduct primary and secondary research to support consulting engagements.
- Assess and analyze relevant technologies and market impact.
- Create forecasts and technology fit, feasibility, and roadmap strategy.
- Research activities include conducting primary interviews with executives, researchers, and thought leaders, chasing down data points, analyzing quantitative data; aggregating and analyzing diverse data sets, building models, devising’ creative ways to present data and ideas visually, and helping to support a rapidly-growing, geographically-dispersed team.
- Take on significant client-facing responsibilities as experience and skills grow.
- Exhibit subject matter expertise, project leadership, pursue independent research activities, report into senior consultants and research director, and direct/coach research associates, based on existing team composition.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Functioning as subject matter expert in relevant engagements and managing client deliverables and interactions for projects across all Lux domain coverage areas and markets.
- Working within a team of other Consultants and Research Associates and reporting to the Managing Consultant, APAC to develop and execute project plans and prepare findings for clients.
- Conducting primary interviews; developing and executing interviews with senior-level executives at large corporations, technology start-ups, and other organizations.
- Conducting secondary research drawing on diverse sources; scientific and technical literature, business and trade press, patent filings, and conference presentations.
- Producing written research reports and presentations, including creative visual depictions of data and ideas via MS PowerPoint and development of analysis frameworks in MS Excel.
- Helping develop ideas and launch of new client service offerings as opportunities permit
- Developing a network of contacts and relationships among business and scientific leaders in emerging technologies and with clientele
- Estimated travel up to 10%, including occasionally to represent Lux Research at invited speaking engagements and conferences.