In the face of increasing population and longevity, food security is at the forefront of the global effort to achieve greater health and wellness. Agriculture technologies are becoming ever more relevant to food producers and consumers alike. Food innovation and nutrition science are being redefined and players across the food industry value chain must reassess conventional processes and products to cater to evolving industry and consumer demands.
Lux Research is seeking candidates to research the future of agriculture and food technologies, aimed at helping clients grow their businesses. Lux’s clients include leading global agrichemical and seed companies, ingredient companies, food and consumer-packaged goods companies, and major chemical companies in addition to investor and government groups.
Research Associates become experts in assessing novel and emerging technologies, through interviews with technology developers and clients, as well as in-depth secondary research efforts like market sizes and technology roadmaps. A successful Research Associate will be comfortable researching a wide range of technologies like biopesticides, genome editing, food safety innovations, alternative ingredient production, and personalized nutrition solutions to develop and share well-researched opinions with a broad range of audiences.
- Work with a geographically diverse team to develop and test research hypotheses and prepare findings for clients.
- Conduct primary interviews and author descriptive documents that profile the emerging technology activities of start-up companies, large corporations, and research laboratories.
- Conduct secondary research drawing on diverse sources, including business articles, scientific publications, patent filings, and press releases.
- Maintain a pipeline of briefings with senior executives at innovative companies as well as leaders of cutting-edge university and government labs.
- Assist with the production of research reports and other client deliverables.
- A strong record of academic achievement. Bachelor’s degree required with a major in the life sciences (food science, nutrition science, agronomy, plant science, biology, chemistry, biochemistry, molecular biology). One to two years of work experience is a plus.
- Deep intellectual curiosity about emerging technologies, especially in food and/or nutrition science; including food processing and distribution platforms, ingredient production technologies, emerging food business models, and emerging trends such as personalized nutrition.
- English fluency (oral and written) is a must.
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail; ability to juggle multiple tasks.
- Willingness to do whatever it takes to meet client needs in a fast-moving, rapidly growing, start-up-like environment.
- Entrepreneurial, enthusiastic, collegial, and collaborative approach to work.
- Ability to write clearly about business and technical topics.
- Comfort in calling into companies and research labs to schedule briefings.
- Excellent office software skills (Word, Powerpoint, and Excel) and the ability to meet deadlines is critical.
- Other Important Qualifying Information:
- This is an entry-level position and is not appropriate for Ph.D. or post-doc candidates.
- We are seeking candidates local to the Boston metro area. There is no relocation assistance associated with this role.
- We are unable to provide sponsorship for this role. Qualified candidates must be able to prove valid US Work authorization status.
- Lux Research is an Equal Opportunity Employer.