Associate Consultant – Technology and Technology Strategy
Lux Research is seeking individuals with technical backgrounds and industrial experience seeking to make a career change into the world of consulting. We are looking for talented individuals to join our team and help us conduct technical research to provide technology assessment and strategy consulting to our Global Innovation 1000 clients. Areas of practice include energy, environmental and clean technology, advanced materials, digital transformation, and health and life sciences industries.
This is an outstanding opportunity for a technology passionate professional seeking to learn about, explore, and contribute to technology innovation. Join us and contribute to a fast-paced dynamic consulting team; and operate as an integral member of typically 3-4 person engagement teams. In addition to being a core contributor on client projects, Associate Consultants have opportunities to develop and gain expertise in Lux Research’s tools and methodology, develop key subject matter and process expertise, and learn the process and art of proposal writing and winning.
Attributes of successful candidates:
- Having an undergraduate or advanced degree in the physical sciences, life sciences, or engineering discipline
- Understanding and experience of industry and corporate environments
- Ability to work effectively within teams
- Ability to communicate progress and deliver results in a timely manner
- Excellent self-management, time management, and communication skills
- Coachable and willing to learn
- Ability to work in a fast-paced; deadline driven environment under supervision with team-heavy participation;
- Ability to learn, understand, and apply business and technical topics;
- Strong analytical skills, both qualitative and quantitative;
- A high degree of organization and attention to detail
- 1-2 years of industry experience in either a technical, engineering, or scientific role.
- An undergraduate degree in a physical sciences or engineering discipline is a must. An MBA or advanced degree is a plus.
- English fluency (written and oral) is required.
- Candidates with a background in electronics; advanced materials; energy or biotech technologies are highly desirable.
Associate Consultants at Lux Research are expected to develop into excellent time and project managers; have the ability to juggle multiple tasks across multiple engagements and deliver to management and client expectations of quality and timeliness. Activities as individual contributors and team members is generation of client deliverables such as techno-commercial landscape analysis; opportunity assessment; market entry strategies; tech roadmap and strategic planning; and partner selection and technical due diligence.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Learn about the 20+ industry sectors that Lux as a company covers and supports
- Learn and master Lux methodologies and processes
- Help execute engagements with Innovation 1000 clients
- Learn to write engagement-winning proposals and be responsible for a defined fraction of sales and revenue generation
- Help Consultants project manage and execute as either/both technical analyst and/or subject matter expert in relevant engagements. Manage client deliverables and interactions for projects across all Lux domain coverage areas and markets.
- Work within the team and report to the Consultant/Senior Consultant to develop and execute project plans and prepare findings for clients.
- Conduct primary interviews; developing and executing interviews with senior-level executives at large corporations, technology start-ups, and other organizations.
- Conduct secondary research drawing on diverse sources; scientific and technical literature, business and trade press, patent filings, and conference presentations.
- Produce presentations and supporting material, including creative visual depictions of data and ideas via MS Powerpoint and MS Excel.
- Develop a network of contacts and relationships among business and scientific leaders in emerging technologies and with clientele.
- Participate in client-facing responsibilities commensurate with experience and growth.
- Build process and subject matter mastery and expertise, project leadership, establish independent research activities, and direct/coach Research Associates as needed.
- Occasional travel to client sites as needed (<10%)
We are seeking candidates for our Amsterdam office and are placing a preference on local qualified candidates.
This role is not appropriate for Ph.D.'s or post-docs.