The Internet of Things (IoT) is disrupting nearly every facet of life, from transportation to retail to industrial processes. However, choosing the right technologies that enable IoT ecosystems, whether in the Smart Home, Connected Car, or Smart Factory is challenging, not to mention understanding how to turn them into successful businesses. Lux Research is seeking candidates to research the future of the IoT to help clients grow their businesses and understand their technology decisions. Clients include multi-national electronics, materials, and consumer goods companies in addition to investor, academic, and government groups.
Analysts spend their time speaking with innovative technology developers and clients, attending and speaking at conferences, and analyzing their findings to help clients make informed decisions. An IoT analyst will be exposed to a wide range of technologies including sensors, communication protocols, artificial intelligence, augmented and virtual reality, and connected devices to develop research like technology roadmaps, market sizes, and supply chain dynamics.
The analyst role will:
- Be recognized as a leading expert on the progress and impact of IoT innovations including sensors, industrial IoT deployments, embedded systems, IoT application enablement, IoT devices, connectivity, and others.
- Bring and further build an exceptional network of contacts active in emerging IoT technologies.
- Be skilled at visualizing the impact and assessing the market potential of innovative new technologies and business models.
- Be well-versed in crafting corporate strategy for managing emerging technologies and their implications.
- Grasp the impact of policy, subsidies, and other regulatory factors on technology adoption and impact.
- Develop new concepts, big ideas, and analytical frameworks to help clients and colleagues understand the shifting IoT landscape and the business opportunities it creates.
- Manage and work with a team of expert research team members to develop and test research hypotheses and prepare findings for clients.
- Edit and quality control written research reports, including creative visual depictions of data and ideas.
- Present research findings and strategic insights onsite for clients and at leading industry events.
- Manage client deliverables and interactions.
- Help develop and launch new client service offerings as appropriate.
- Develop a network of contacts and relationships among business and scientific leaders in emerging technologies.
- Conduct primary interviews for written research reports, including developing and executing sets of interviews with senior-level executives at large corporations, technology start-ups, and other organizations.
- Conduct secondary research drawing on diverse sources, including business and trade press, academic publications, patent filings, and conference presentations.
- Coach, mentor, and manage research team members, assisting with team members’ professional development.
- Technical experience in one or more of the following: sensors technology; embedded systems; robotics; connectivity; software/hardware development for IoT.
- A strong record of academic achievement. Bachelor's degree in computer science, materials science, chemistry, physics, chemical engineering, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, or similar is required. Advanced degrees in these disciplines are preferred.
- Deep intellectual curiosity about emerging technologies.
- Willingness to do whatever it takes to meet client needs in a fast-moving, rapidly growing, post start-up environment.
- Entrepreneurial, enthusiastic, collegial, and collaborative approach to work.
- Ability to motivate and coach others to superior performance levels.
- High degree of organization and attention to detail; ability to juggle multiple tasks.
- Superior listening and critical thinking skills, and ability to speak articulately and think on your feet; a good sense of humor is a major plus.
- Strong analytical skill, both qualitative and quantitative.
- Excellent office software skills and ability to touch type.
- Immediately available for full-time work (therefore future graduates will not be considered).