Robotics and Automation – Research Analyst (Boston)
Lux Research is looking for candidates with strong technical capability in robotics and automation, who are looking to use that knowledge to assess the commercial viability and roadmap for emerging technologies.
Lux Research provides a unique environment to bolster technical knowledge with business skills, by serving clients interested in monetizing emerging technologies. Clients include multi-national electronics, materials, and industrial companies in addition to investor and government groups.
Qualified candidates will have background in either components (e.g. sensors, machine vision systems, machine learning), and/or automated systems (e.g. robots, autonomous vehicles, drones).
This position does not involve lab-work; rather it involves building on technical expertise through additional primary and secondary research to identify the best opportunities and biggest risks for clients.
Analysts spend their time speaking with innovative technology developers and clients, attending and speaking at conferences, and analyzing their findings to help clients make informed decisions. Analysts will develop expertise across the value chain, including hardware, software, and end markets.
- Work with a geographically diverse team to develop and test research hypotheses and prepare findings for clients.
- Conduct primary interviews with senior-level executives at large corporations, technology start-ups, and other organizations.
- Conduct secondary research drawing on diverse sources, including business and trade press, academic publications, patent filings, and conference presentations.
- Produce written research reports, including creative visual depictions of data and ideas.
- Perform analyses ranging from technical due diligence to market forecasting and cost modeling
- Understand client business needs to develop and deliver high-value research.
- Develop a network of contacts and relationships among business and scientific leaders in emerging technologies.
- 2-4 years work or postgraduate experience with a background or experience in one or more of the following: electrical engineering, computer science, robotics engineering, mechanical engineering, system engineering, computer engineering, aerospace/aeronautics engineering.
- Deep intellectual curiosity about emerging technologies.
- Willingness to do whatever it takes to meet client needs in a fast-moving, rapidly growing, start-up environment.
- Entrepreneurial, enthusiastic, collegial, and collaborative approach to work.
- High degree of organization and attention to detail; ability to juggle multiple tasks.
- Ability to write clearly and incisively about business and technical topics.
- Superior listening and critical thinking skills, and ability to speak articulately and think on your feet; a good sense of humor is a major plus.
- Strong analytical skill, both qualitative and quantitative.
- A strong record of academic achievement. Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering, computer science, robotics engineering, mechanical engineering, system engineering, computer engineering, or aerospace/aeronautics engineering required; Master's degree or Ph.D. is preferred.
This position is open to all of our office locations: Boston, New York City, Amsterdam, Singapore and Tokyo
We are seeking candidates immediately available for full-time work.