Research Associate – Emerging Materials and 3D Printing Technologies
Lux Research is a rapidly growing organization providing strategic advice and on-going intelligence for emerging technologies. Leaders in business, finance, and government rely on us to help them make informed strategic decisions. Through our unique research approach focused on primary research and extensive global network, we deliver insight, connections, and competitive advantage to our clients.
Lux Research is aggressively seeking Research Associates to support our technology scouting and business intelligence services in the Materials and 3D Printing space, including 3D printing (additive manufacturing), carbon nanomaterials, coatings, composites, materials informatics, polymers, metals, metamaterials, design and manufacturing software, bio-based materials & chemicals, and smart materials.
The strongest candidates will be those who are looking to use their research background and passion for emerging technologies to assess the commercial viability for novel materials, 3D printing, and manufacturing innovations and business models. Lux Research provides a unique environment to bolster technical knowledge with business skills, by serving clients interested in monetizing emerging technologies. This position does not involve lab-work; rather it involves building on technical expertise through additional primary and secondary research to identify the best business opportunities and biggest risk for clients.
- Research Associates spend most of their time conducting primary and extensive secondary research on emerging materials and 3D printing topics drawing on diverse sources, including business and trade press articles, scientific publications, patent filings, venture capital transactions, and conference presentations.
- Work with a geographically diverse team to perform thorough analysis of the technical value and business execution for emerging materials companies and technologies.
- Interview senior-level executives at large corporations, technology start-ups, and other organizations
- Author descriptive documents that profile the activities of start-up companies, large corporations, and research laboratories.
- Perform assessments ranging from technical due diligence to market forecasting and cost modeling.
- Assist with the production of research reports and other client deliverables.
- Attend, network, and speak at leading industry conferences and other events.
- A strong record of academic achievement. Bachelor's degree required in materials science, chemistry, physics, chemical engineering, or mechanical engineering.
- Master's degree and/or some postgraduate work experience is preferred.
- Deep intellectual curiosity about emerging technologies and passion for discussing them with internal colleagues and external clients on a daily basis.
- Willingness to do whatever it takes to meet client needs in a fast-moving, rapidly growing, start-up environment.
- Entrepreneurial, enthusiastic, collegial, and collaborative approach to work.
- High degree of organization and attention to detail; ability to juggle multiple tasks.
- Ability to write clearly and incisively about business and technical topics, and desire to refine presentation and public speaking skills to present on such topics to executive audiences.
- Superior listening and critical thinking skills, and ability to speak articulately and think on your feet; a good sense of humor is a major plus.
- Strong analytical skill, both qualitative and quantitative.
Other qualifying information:
We are seeking candidates local to or in the process of moving to the Boston metro area.
We are seeking candidates immediately available for full-time work.
This is an entry-level position which is not appropriate for Ph.D.’s or post-docs.