Lux Research is seeking an entrepreneurial-minded and intellectually curious consultant to conduct technical and technology-focused market research and provide technology strategy consulting expertise to our clients regarding new and emerging technologies impacting the advanced materials, energy, environmental and clean technology, and life sciences industries.
Consultants play a significant role at Lux, helping to retain and grow existing clients, develop new clients, develop junior team members’ skills and otherwise contribute to the success of the company in a variety of ways.
This is an outstanding opportunity for the Consultant to contribute immediately to a fast-paced dynamic consulting team and operate as an integral member of typically a 3 to 4-person engagement team. In addition to be a core contributor on client projects, our consultants have opportunities to develop important subject matter expertise, build valuable networks with executives from key global corporations, and develop and gain expertise in Lux Research’s tools and methodology. Some travel is required for this position, but it is significantly less than at a “traditional” consulting firm as we do not work at the client site.
- Conduct primary and secondary research to support consulting engagements
- Assess and analyze relevant technologies and market impact
- Create forecasts and technology fit, feasibility, and roadmap strategy
- Research activities include conducting primary interviews with executives, researchers, and thought leaders, chasing down data points, analyzing quantitative data, aggregating and analyzing diverse data sets, building models, devising creative ways to present data and ideas visually, and helping to support a rapidly-growing, geographically-dispersed team
- Take on significant client-facing responsibilities as experience and skills grow
- Project leadership, pursue independent research activities, report into senior consultants and research director, and direct/coach research associates, based on existing team composition
- Function as a subject matter expert in relevant engagements and managing client deliverables and interactions for projects across all Lux domain coverage areas and markets
- Develop and execute project plans and prepare findings for clients working within a team of other Consultants and Research Associates
- Conduct primary interviews, and develop/execute interviews with senior-level executives at large corporations, technology start-ups, and other organizations
- Conduct secondary research drawing on diverse sources, scientific and technical literature, business and trade press, patent filings, and conference presentations
- Produce written research reports and presentations, including creative visual depictions of data and ideas via MS PowerPoint and development of analysis frameworks in MS Excel
- Help to develop ideas and launch of new client service offerings as opportunities permit
- Develop a network of contacts and relationships among business and scientific leaders in emerging technologies and with clientele
Qualifications and Skills
- An undergraduate degree in a physical sciences or engineering discipline is a must; an MBA or advanced degree is desired
- Candidates with a background in electronics, advanced materials, or energy technologies are highly desirable
- 2+ years of industry experience or previous consulting/client facing experience and experience leading projects is required
- Any prior work experience in a technical/analytical setting is a plus
- Demonstrated analytic or modeling skills prized
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail; exhibits logical thought, communication, planning, and action in accomplishing multi-step tasks
- Likes and enjoys multitasking and working on multiple subject areas
- Deep intellectual curiosity and desire to learn about emerging technologies and their impact
- Very strong verbal and written communication skills along with the ability and desire to cross collaborate; ability to write and communicate clearly about business and technical topics
- Willingness to do what it takes to meet client needs in a fast paced, client oriented and deadline driven environment; possessing an entrepreneurial, enthusiastic, collegial, and collaborative approach to work is essential to success
- Excellent office software skills
More About Lux:
Lux Research is a leading provider of tech-enabled research and advisory solutions, helping clients drive growth through technology innovation. A pioneer in the research industry, Lux uniquely combines technical expertise and business insights with a proprietary intelligence platform, using advanced analytics and data science to surface true leading indicators. With quality data derived from primary research, fact-based analysis, and opinions that challenge traditional thinking, Lux clients are empowered to make more informed decisions today to ensure future success.
Analysis you trust. Opinions you rely on. Make better decisions, faster. For more information visit www.luxresearchinc.com, connect on LinkedIn, or follow @LuxResearch.
Lux Research is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Applicants and employees are considered for positions and are evaluated without regard to mental or physical disability, handicap, race, color, religion, gender, gender identity and expression, ancestry, national origin, age, genetic information, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status or other categories protected by law.